Thursday, March 13, 2014

Playing with balls and driving others crazy

Hi all,
Long time no blog, shame on me *sad face*
But and there is a BIG BUT, I have been busy, busy, busy.
Firstly, I've slowly finishing off the clothes for charity, just left with sewing them *sigh* I so hate having to sew them together but it has to be done.
Secondly, I have started working on this fantastic crocheted retro jacket for my Mum's birthday. The start of it actually gave me a headache lol but 10 false starts and 3 different patterns later, I have finally settled on doing it in a houndstooth crochet stitch and it is coming along very nicely.
Thirdly, I have decided not to go into the Australian Wool Museum competition for Scarf Making, as I don't have enough time on my hands to complete everything on my list at the moment.

So now this is where I am going to tell you about the hilarious phone call I  made to my local Spotlight store to order wool for my Mum's jacket.
I don't leave the house due to a mental disability and problems with my knees and back, so all my shopping is done either online or with instructions as to what I need for my darling hubby to follow but there are times when he just doesn't find or get exactly what I need.
Anywhoo, I ring Spotlight and spoke to one of the lovely sales assistants and explained I was looking for the softest 8 ply acrylic in burgundy that they had. She immediately told me about MARVEL SOFT 8 PLY and gave me the price per ball. Getting all excited I ask if she has 15 balls, working roughly on the specifications of the pattern. To my dismay she informs me that they only had 4 balls but could order more in if needed. No guarantee though of obtaining the same dye lot though.
The next half hour on the phone was spent discussing other brands and pricing but none were sounding as good as the Marvel Soft. Thinking I would just have to send hubby in and choose a color, she placed me on hold and came back 10 minutes later to inform me that she had checked out back in the storeroom and found more balls of the Marvel Soft, same dye lot. Eleven balls all up. This was enough to have me smiling again and feeling better about the project.
As I had asked for 15 balls, we decided to compare how much yardage the pattern stated to the meters of the yarn I wanted. Turned out I only needed about 8 - 9 balls, so without hesitation I got her to put them on hold for me, so I could send darling hubby down to fetch them. Laughing the sales assistant talked me into taking the entire amount off her hands as she said she would find it hard to get rid of such a small amount of yarn.
I did and am now the proud owner of Marvel Soft 8 ply Lot 1779.
Incidentally the yarn is made in Turkey for anyone who is interested!

Ok  so now I have my yarn, finally settled on a pattern that I feel looks nicer than the one stated in the patter which if memory serves me correct I purchased from Annie's online in pdf format.
But my biggest bone has been the fact that I detest having to start with the outside thread, I prefer to use the inside thread from the centre.

HELLO PINTEREST!
Going through Pinterest one day, I cam across this pin that talked about how to wind your yarn into a ball so you ended up with a centre thread to use.
YAY
Being a good girl and thinking others may be interested, I like the pin and repinned it to my own board.
The blog site where this originated is call Knits with Balls. Yep you guessed it, this site is written by a man. I have never seen so many men doing blogs and tutorials about knitting and crocheting as I have in the last six months. I think this is excellent and to say some of these guys are either a bit of eye candy or have gorgeous sexy voices doesn't hurt either lol
So this evening I have started on winding my yarn up and man, I know this would be a fantastic system if you were looking for smaller balls to work with but considering I am not, I think I may have to hint that a yarn holder would be a great present for Mother's Day lol

No comments:

Post a Comment