Saturday, July 19, 2014

Can I get any more annoyed with this jacket?

Hello everyone.

Well as the post title states, could I get any more annoyed with the jacket I have been crocheting for my Mum since March?

Oh you had better believe I can.

After all the problems I had had with it (see previous posts), I finally get to the sleeves. Phew, sleeves don't take long to do I tell myself, and then I can finally wrap it up and give it to my Mum.

Well that is what I thought. The actual result was that the sleeve did not turn out like the one on the pattern. The shape was incorrect and I had to muddle through the designer/printers errors. I mean, how on earth does one gain stitches when decreasing?

Not 100% sure on that answer but if you were to follow the pattern to the letter then when you have decreased, your heart starts to thump in a deadly staccato that would rival
Lars Ulrich, Drummer from Metallica, in any of his solo's.



So after an extreme amount of cursing and changing the sky from grey to blue, I spent the next 3 hours carefully pulling the jacket to pieces and winding the wool into a couple of huge balls before going through the pattern search once more.

By this stage I was starting to doubt I would ever find a pattern I was happy with and thinking it might have been a better idea to just go out and purchase a ready made jacket.


But really, a hand crafted piece of clothing made with love beats any machine made one hands down in my opinion. So on I marched, fingers flying across the keyboard, typing in all sorts of keywords and rejecting a lot of the options that were resulting.

Ahm silly woman, why don't you just go to the websites you have joined and look through their catalog
of crocheted jackets. Yes I mentally kicked myself...HARD. This goes to show you how desperate I was...I wasn't utilizing the resources I had bookmarked.

Slowly I made my way through the long, long lists until I came to Ravelry
(Oops, I forgot I was a member lol)


The pattern I found was for a Matinee Swing Jacket. It is one of the "free" patterns you can download if you are a member.

I was pleased to see that that there had been updates made to correct errors on the pattern (that always helps) and that the pattern itself is not a hard one. Basically working in HDC (Half Double Crochet) only.

As this is for my Mum and she really loved the pleat on the back of the other pattern, I have decided to increase the stitches for the back to allow for the pleat, as well as make it longer in the body, so it will sit nicely over her outfits.

I am happy to say that as of this evening, I have crocheted 30 rows of the back and here is the BEST news...I HAVEN'T HAD TO PULL IT OUT AND RESTART IT.

My aim is to have it finished no later than my birthday (August 13th) as Mum will be coming to visit and also because technically it will still be Winter, so she can't make fun of how long it has taken me to do it.

So that is as they say, that!

Until next time,
Happy Crafting everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment